Intro and help with a gazebo roof

Old 10-15-07, 03:56 AM
Intro and help with a gazebo roof

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum, and pretty new to carpentry in general. My wife has talked me into building a gazebo, and I'm at a stage where I have to make a decision on the roof. The gazebo is 12X16 with a concrete slab floor, and 4 6X6 corner posts. I plan to do a hip roof and I'm not sure of the best way to place my beams around the top of my posts. My original thought was to use 2 2X8s all the way around the outside bolted through the posts, but I'm not sure that is the way to go. Any thoughts on a better design? I've purchased the lumber for the roof frame, and I'm just about ready to start, but I have to decide on this first. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-07, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dave: Welcome to the forums! We will ask as many questions as you, so get ready. How many sides does your gazebo have? Most have 8. If it is just a rectangle you will have to install a rim joist connecting all the vertical posts together and, thereby, giving you a place to put the rafters. For a hip roof you will need to determine the length of your ridge beam, install it temporarily, install the side rafters, then cut the compound angles to make the hip. A gable roof will be alot simpler, but won't look as "gazebo-ish".