Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching Holes in the Kitchen Floor

WA

10-17-07, 08:07 AM   #1  
Patching Holes in the Kitchen Floor

Getting a new electric stove delivered today, and last night the wife and I pulled out the old one to try and make things go faster--and so we could clean behind it.

Old stove is vented through the floor, and either the person who installed it did a less than stellar job, or I'm just picky. There was a good sized gap around the blower and a chilly breeze blowing in from the crawlspace. After working it loose, I dropped a 1/2" plywood scrap down over the hole and screwed it down to cover the hole for now.

There's another hole in the floor, presumably from a previous stove that was also floor vented. It's patched with a sheet of aluminum nailed down and sealed, but the spot under the aluminum seems very cold where the hole is.

I'd really like to fix this right. Please advise.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-17-07, 03:30 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! In the area you are working, there is no support factor, so patching the two holes with 1/2" plywood is a fine idea. I would be concerned with the cold air, however, and install some sort of insulation or find out where the cold air is coming from and eliminate it. Reminds me of how my grandfather patched holes in his old farm house. No carpet, no hardwood, just floor boards. Snow would blow up through the holes in the winter. He just found pieces of tin (probably from Prince Albert tobacco cans) and nailed them down around the hole and pounded the metal as flat as possible. Looked weird, but oh, the memories.

Search this Thread