Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Removing a lally column.. I have a question before my GC removes it!

Old 10-25-07, 09:13 PM

Hi all,

New to the boards and have done alot of reading tonight

I am having my basement finished, and I want to remove a lally column thats in the way...

My main beam is made up of (3) 2x10" and the lallys are spaced every 7'. I want to remove one so I will have a 14' span between lally's.

I talked to my GC about this, and he called the local lumber yard and talked to an engineer (I heard him on the phone)..
He explained the type of house, measured the spans down etc..

They came back with (1) 14' x 11" x 3/4" steel plate that would need to be lagged to one side of the beam.

All the reading I have done online I have not read about this. I see that others have used (2) steel plates (one on each side of the 2x10's) and bolted them together...

Has anyone seen or heard of the one side steel plate method? I want to make sure that the engineer didn't make a mistake?

thanks much!

-Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-07, 08:26 AM
I suspect that the fact that the plate is 3/4 of an inch thick plus the lags has alot to do with it....

Old 10-31-07, 06:18 AM
I assume your GC has no permits for the job?

Here's the problem. The 3/4" plate tells me nothing because I don't know the loading conditions of your house. There are two possible problems here, the plate may be undersized (just a plate may not be good enough), or the way its attached to the beam (lag bolt orientation) may be inadequate.

If your GC pulled a permit, that new design most likely has to be submitted for approval. I wouldn't settle with "my GC talked to an engineer at the lumber yard on the phone." Have your design in hardcopy, stamped by the engineer. Have him even give you his calcs if you'd like. I always give my clients the option. Don't mess with something as important as your house's structural integrity.