old douglas fir subfloor replace or re-frame

Old 10-26-07, 09:04 AM
Question old douglas fir subfloor replace or re-frame

Hello,

I have an 100 year old southern california bungalow. The house has crooked douglas fir sub-floor which is basically acting as the topfloor also. Basically there is no top-floor. A local neighborhood historian said that in the old days that was comon in my type of home, subfloor without topfloors. Basically this "softwood" subfloor is the only thing seperating where I stand to the crawl space. I has been sanded numerouse times, and is not in the best shape. I intend to eventually install real hardwood flooring on top, but need to reframe the subfloor first as it sags near where the walls are. My question is should I just replace the subfloor al together, or just straighten it. Like I said, it's 100 years old, made of doug fir, has been sanded and stained over the years.

Guia

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-07, 09:51 AM
The sagging near the wall part has got me wondering,is the whole wall dipping down or just the doug fir flooring, can you look at it from underneath to see how far the existing floor joists are apart or perhaps get a look at the sill,there
``could ``be problems there... also look over the existing floor joists to see what condition they are in
bigjax

Old 10-27-07, 12:27 PM
re: response to bigjax

thank you for your prompt response.

I'm not sure if the wall is also sagging. How do I find out, by putting a level to the ceiling? I tride that, and the ceiling is straight. Basically, the floor area I am talking about is in one area only, in the living room, the sub-floor dips 1 inch all along the north wall (a supporting wall) that sepperates living room from rest of house. I went underneath the house and took a level to the joints, they also sag down 1 inch in the area I mentioned. FYI the house has had new raised foundation done, foundation walls with new piers. But I did not have the subfloor re-framed because I was low on funds.

Old 10-27-07, 04:07 PM
If you put a marble on the floor and it rolls to the middle of your home your center beam has begun to sink, but if it rolls to the outside wall ,then you will be looking at sill problems.If it rolls no where you are in good shape,(clap your hands lol ....).

Old 10-28-07, 09:03 AM
doug fir sub-floor

please disregard this message, submited by mistake

Old 10-28-07, 09:06 AM
doug fir sub-floor

the floor does not dip at outside wall. It dips at inside wall that seperates living room from rest of house. I suppose that would be the most "middle of the house", so I guess it's a beam problem.

My original question was

1. How do I straighten it

2. Does the doug fir subfloor then need to be removed and replaced.

Old 10-28-07, 04:42 PM
It will have to be lifted with jacks, very slowly no more then 1/8 ``per dayto minumize damaging your walls above.Nail a
1 1/2 `` block on the bottom at each end of the beam tack a nail in the first block so you can hook a string on it, then put a nail in the second block at the other end, pull line tight and tie it off.This should give you a gage to see how much the beam has to be lifted providing it is still in good shape.....(you will have to do some probing on your own with a pocket knife go down there and take a few pokes around in different spots.If you spot fresh powder in holes in the beam there could be termites living in the beam and check for any cracks while your there... .
bigjax