Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leveling subflooring

NY

10-29-07, 07:56 AM   #1  
Leveling subflooring

I recently purchased a 19th century Greek Revival house that is in relatively good condition. The previous owners made some attempts to jack up the floor beams and level the floors. In most of the rooms, they did a good job. However, there is one bedroom where just looking at the floor makes you seasick. The center of the floor is more than an inch higher than the side along the entrance. It feels like you are walking uphill when you enter the room. I am probably going to use plywood and cedar shims to level the floor out, and top everyting off with a layer of 3/8 plywood, cross grain to the existing underlayment and plywood shims. I already have a 1 1/4" pneumatic brad nailer. Would that be sufficient to hold down the new subflooring, or would I need a framing nailer for that part of the project?

Sponsored Links

CT

10-29-07, 09:21 AM   #2  
It sounds like a good excuse to purchase a framing nailer. Thin shanked brads just won't get the job done. I would use 8d, ring shanked nails.

I don' know your setup, but I probably would not use 3/8" plywood.

NY

10-29-07, 09:41 AM   #3  
Why would you advise against 3/8 plywood? I am going to shim the floor level first, so the top layer is just to provide a smooth surface to lay laminate down upon.

Also, I've seen more than one type of framing nail- wire weld, clipped head, and round head. Which would be best for a general-purpose framing nailer. I do not plan on becoming a professional framing contractor any time soon.

CT

10-29-07, 12:46 PM   #4  
My bad on the 3/8" plywood. I misunderstood your post. I thought you intended to shim under the 3/8". As for the framing nailer, it may make more sense to rent one for the job rather than purchase new if you don't forsee any additional use.

In any case, the ring shank nail is great for floor sheathing. I guarantee they wont pull or loosen.

Search this Thread