Is this load bearing

Old 10-29-07, 04:42 PM
Is this load bearing

Hello,
I am looking at removing an interior wall to create a more open space. My roof/attic uses scissor trusses and the floor uses floor joists. The room has a vaulted ceiling. The wall itself is eight feet tall and only a 1 foot portion of it goes all the way to the ceiling. The 1 foot portion is offset from the center of the ceiling.

There are some wires ran inside the 1 foot portion that I will have to move, but that isn't a big deal. Anyway, so I removed the sheet rock and after looking at the studs I can't tell if it section going up to ceiling is there to carry load.

Also, looking at the house plans, it looks like it was designed with a flat ceiling using girder trusses, with the option for vaulted ceiling/scissor trusses.

Here is a link to some pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/Benjamin.S.Fuchs/House/

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At first sight, it does not look to be load bearing. On the pix at the sole plate, did you cut out the plate, or was it like that? What is directly under the tall wall as far as support members, and do these support members go all the way to the basement/crawlspace floor?

Old 10-30-07, 04:35 AM

Chandler,
Thanks for the reply.
The sil plate was cut like that from the builder, the only thing I did was remove the sheet rock. There are two vents in the floor for the cold air return which where inside the wall.

The two vertical 2x4s themselves do not sit above any wall in the basement. In fact, the come down right in the middle of a large room. I crawled inside the floor joists and from what I can measure, the vertical 2x4s are about three inches offset from a joists.

The house plans have it drawn up to be using either girder trusses or scissor trusses and I think the wall might be there for load bearing purposes if the house was built with girder trusses. Since it wasn't, I am thinking they ran the "piller" up to the ceiling as a way to run the electrical wires and stabilize the wall itself.

Does that makes any sense?

Old 10-30-07, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, it does. I would venture to say it is only a pillar and non load bearing, since there are not any members below it, and it is sitting on a void rather than vertical support or joisting.