Opening up kitchen to dining room

Old 10-30-07, 05:45 AM
Opening up kitchen to dining room

Hello, This is my first post, hopefully I'll give you enough info to answer my question.

I would like to open up my kitchen into my dining room. I need to calculate the size of the header ,number of jack studs and if I need a double king stud to span a 12' opening.

Again the opeing is 12' this is a load bearing interior wall. The two opposing walls are 14' apart(ext wall to ext wall 28') The beam in question is in line with the roof ridge and I have a steel "I" beam under the floor joists.

This 12' span will be supporting a 2nd floor with 2 bedrooms above. The ceiling joists are 10". The span will be under these joists(4' sistering) hanging down the thicness of the beam in question.

So,

How thick of a beam do I need to span this 12'?
Do I go 2 no1 2x12?? or with a engineered piece of lumber?

Do I need 2 king studs and what about jack studs I think I need 2 of them??

I have 2 - 2x4's under the sistered section of the ceiling one is jacked in the other is kinged in do I keep these will it help?

Any help would be appreciated. I understand that this will look like a giant "picture window"

Thanks

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 02:13 PM
The first thing I would do is pull a permit.

Old 10-30-07, 08:05 PM
Any changes to structure will require a permit from your local Building Code office. There you will learn what building codes require in your area. Codes vary from area to area.

Old 10-31-07, 06:09 AM
I'd like to say you are undertaking a serious job that has the potential to ruin your home. By ruining, I mean either a localized failure, or installing an inadequate beam that leads to sagging of the floor above and sagging to the ridgeline in your roof.

My advice to you is have someone who has the authority and experience in your area (usually an engineer) to design and certify a beam for your particular case. You'll find this out when you pull a permit.

I can tell you that you didn't provide near enough info for a proper beam design, plus I would never design one without looking at the entire structure.

Good Luck

Old 10-31-07, 11:31 AM
Agreed, a description of the loading scenario is rarely enough (think pictures or plans). From what you said, (2) 2x12's won't even get close. Likely you'll need to go 3 by, or if theres roof load (again not enough info) LVL may be necessary. These are just guesses, educated guesses yes, but get yourself an engineer.

Search this Thread