How to level out a floor for laminate install?

Old 10-30-07, 11:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to level out a floor for laminate install?

Howdy all. We're preparing to install laminate flooring in our kitchen, and the instructions say to make sure the floor is level within 2 mm tolerance. It looks like I'm going to be off from that a bit towards one end of the room. How do I go about leveling this? What materials needed? Floor currently is 3/4" plank subfloor and 3/4" plywood on top of that. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 08:55 PM
Are you sure they were not talking about the need for the floor to be flat? IMO, 2 mm out of level is just .08 inches and insignificant.

Old 10-31-07, 04:44 AM
Well the directions read:

"Make sure the subfloor is flat. Any unevenness greater than 2 mm (1/16) over the length of 1 meter (40) must be smoothed out."

Directions say to use the underlayment to smooth it out if need be. I just got ahold of a long level to check the floor out more thoroughly, but I'm not expecting any major disparities. The floor just "feels" like it's sloping a bit on one end of the kitchen. I missed the part of the instruction to use extra underlayment as needed when I first posted, so I'm expectiing to be ok using an extra layer of that if need be. Thanks for replying.

Old 10-31-07, 05:00 AM
Wink

You still may have missed the point 12 was trying to make - 'Flat" and 'Level are NOT the same thing. A level will obviously tell you if something is level, no slope, little slope, etc - a good straight edge is all you need to determine flat, which is what the instructions are talking about.

A surface can be perfectly flat without being level....

Old 10-31-07, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by George View Post
You still may have missed the point 12 was trying to make - 'Flat" and 'Level are NOT the same thing. A level will obviously tell you if something is level, no slope, little slope, etc - a good straight edge is all you need to determine flat, which is what the instructions are talking about.

A surface can be perfectly flat without being level....
Oh I understood him fine. I'm using this level in particular because it's an especially long one and it has a reliably straight edge.

Anywho... the floor is nice and flat except up to about 2 feet from one wall. Over that area, the slope increases to where I have a measureable half inch greater drop by the wall. So... given that... I assume I need to add a little extra underlayment? I'm thinking one extra layer over about a foot from the wall and one more from about a half foot by the wall should about do it (I'd recheck as I lay down this stuff as I go along of course). Does this sound like I'm on the right track? Thanks for the input.