Pocket door header. Need help!

Old 11-12-07, 03:50 PM
Pocket door header. Need help!

Hello. I started to remodel my bathroom and when I removed the sheet rock from the inside of the toilet/bathroom I discovered that there is 4 x 10 header over the pocket door. Our goal was to remove the pocket door altogether, but now I am not sure we can. . I would like some thoughts about how i can remove this safely.

Thanks,

KnuckleB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-07, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't see why you can't remove the pocket door and assembly. The header is properly supported, and you can install either a new door in the opening or install studs and wall it up. You won't need to remove the header, just unscrew and pry out the pocket door rail.

Old 11-13-07, 12:23 PM

This is the other side of the pocket door. We had hoped to be able to remove the soffit and the pocket door. Considering the size of the header, is there anything I can do to minimize the size of this header, or its complete removal? (safely)
Thanks,
KnuckleB

Old 11-13-07, 12:57 PM
I am unclear, what are you planning on doing after you remove the pocket door ? Are you replacing it with another door or where you planning on closing up the opening ?

The more specific you can be the better answer you will get.

Old 11-13-07, 01:38 PM
First, removal of the header is not an option.

But, the door can certainly be removed. There is nothing structural about that door and its frame. The header stays. The jacks studs stay (the 2x's that hold the header up on each side). Anything underneath the header and in between the jack studs can go. So if you're replacing the pocket door with a similar size but different type of door. Then go for it. Nothing major there.

Or do you want to widen the opening? Well more than likely you wont be able to without rearranging some jack studs/replacing existing header with a longer one (unless that header spans wider than the door, which it shouldn't be). Probably not a diy.

You may be able to raise the opening, but I can't say how without knowing what is above it whether it be: a wall (perpendicular or parallel), floor joists (perpendicular or parallel), dead space (like what appears to be above the room to the left in the bottom picture)...you get the idea.

Easiest way to raise that opening would be: get a engineered lumber beam sized and swap that puppy out. Say a 3.5"x5.25" Parallam will carry the load (probably will, get it sized professionally), you'll gain 4-5" in opening height.

Old 11-14-07, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by KnuckleBuster View Post

This is the other side of the pocket door. We had hoped to be able to remove the soffit and the pocket door. Considering the size of the header, is there anything I can do to minimize the size of this header, or its complete removal? (safely)
Thanks,
KnuckleB
You can remove the header and install a flush beam. It all depends on what it's supporting above and what size floor joists you have.

If you want to shorten the header, you can cut out one top plate and install a microlam header that is smaller in height, but it has to be designed to handle what you're carrying above.

The bottom line is that you have the options to do both. You have to contact and Architect or Engineer to do so.