Mold inside walls

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-15-07, 09:33 AM
DIYDick's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8
Exclamation Mold inside walls

I recently found a leak in my basement BR. It apparently had been a problem before I bought it and the inspector didn't catch it. After pulling the toilet and vanity, the drywall was blackened in areas. I tore it out to see the framing behind and noticed the bottom wood was molding. Is this something I would have to replace or just clean very well. Also, can these pieces be removed and replaced, and how hard would it be to do? How would I support the vertical wood to pull the damaged pieces out?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-15-07, 05:25 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 25
mold

Hey I just went through something similar and the advice I got was if you wanna be sure replace. You can get some mold killer chemical at the hardware store and wash it but if it has been a long time I might replace. My issue was caught with in a month or so. As for replacing the wood if it is not a bearing wall ie: holding the floor joists or main wall it should be no problem other wise you need to shore it up with screw jacks which are nice or if unavailable then just some temp wood 4 x 4s. Oh 1 more thing about the mold I was told by a pro mold guy that I shouldn't use bleach for some reason but that was what I was always told. Good Luck.
 
  #3  
Old 11-15-07, 07:36 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
If you have resolved the moisture problem, just kill the mold with a solution of bleach 25% in water, and button 'er up.
 
  #4  
Old 12-27-07, 09:53 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Did the framing dry out? Mold normally needs at least 75%relative humidity to begin moderate growth. And 60%+ to sustain growth. Do you have access to a moisture meter?
 
  #5  
Old 12-29-07, 06:20 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 25
mold

Yea during the summer the humidity is about 60% but now during the winter it is very dry about 35%.I cannot smell it but who knows right. Thanks for the replies all help Happy New Year All !!!!
 
  #6  
Old 12-29-07, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,480
I'd leave the wood and just kill the mold as chfite suggested.
 
  #7  
Old 01-03-08, 07:25 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
home depot sells a product called concrobium specificlly for this app. stuff works great, spray on, walk away
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM.