span length for reinforcing floor joists

Old 11-17-07, 11:24 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am remodeling a recently bought home. One of the upstairs rooms is a game room and I plan on putting a pool table in it.

The original floor joists were 2x6 16" OC - I glued and nailed another joist on to existing joist - so now it is 4x6 14" OC. If I would add another joist in between, that would make the joist system 2x6 8" OC.

I want to know which one would be better to try.

How can I find out since there are no calculators I can find online that will allow me to get the appropriate spans as a function of sistered 4x6 joists or at a spacing of 8" OC?

The thing is the former owner added a second story, but did not reinforce the 2x6 ceiling (floor for the 2nd floor) joists. He simply laid 2x4's perpendicular to the "ceiling" joists 16" OC and used a single layer of tounge and grooved 3/4" floor boards. Upon inspection there are many places where the crossing 2x4 do not even tough the underlying joists.

The rest of information: Southern Pine grade #2; dead and live load of 10 and 40, respectively; deflection of L/360.

Maybe you could help me with an exact answer or tell me where should I look to calculate myself.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-07, 01:13 PM
I
Old 11-17-07, 01:17 PM
K

it is not for 4x6 dimensions......that is what i was trying to explain in my post......

Old 11-17-07, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You double posted, and are getting answers in both forums. It only tends to confuse us when you do that. Try to consolidate your posts. We read 'em all, so we'll pick up on it.

Old 11-17-07, 03:21 PM
K
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You double posted, and are getting answers in both forums. It only tends to confuse us when you do that. Try to consolidate your posts. We read 'em all, so we'll pick up on it.

I am sorry - I am new here. I wasn't sure in which one of the forums my question would fit better. Besides, I did not think that people would read all forums, so I just wanted to increase my chance in getting an answer.

Old 11-17-07, 03:52 PM

Just one thing about sistering joists even if you do the connections right (which is difficult at best).

If you do not raise the original joist, when you add a sister, it is not carrying any load and the original joist still carries all the dead load.

The new live load will be carried by both josits at best. You will never do as much with sistered joists as you would do with the same amount of joists originally installed - especially when it comes to deflection (pool table?).

Your old joists will have some permanent deflections built into them (creep is the engineering term).

Also, your "4x6s" are really not equivalent to real 4x6s (3.5x5.5) since they are only 3.0x5.5".

Old 11-19-07, 06:00 AM
Your game room is probably above the garage am I wrong? That is irrelevant I suppose, more than likely your 2x6's are part of an attic truss, the 2x6 being the bottom chord. I know this because no one would build a floor system of 2x6's, let alone on 16" centers. That means the effective span of the 2x6's is the width of the room, as the walls of the room help support the floor members. Basically you need not reinforce the 2x6's because these spaces are usually designed knowing that it may be finished off later.

Old 11-22-07, 06:16 AM
C
You don't say what the span is. We just finished an addition with a pool room that was 14' across. It was framed with
2x10 joists 12" o.c. If I were you, I would speak to an architect or engineer. It may be possible to install some type of engieered girders (LVL, paralam, flitchplate, etc.) at the locations in the floor where your load points are going to be from the pool table.

Old 11-22-07, 07:46 AM
K
The span is 13'. Someone gave me the idea of OSB.

I had a structural engineer coming - he recommended sistering saying that that would avoid twisting. But he did not recommend blocking while I would do that.

Thanks a lot,
kyra

Old 11-25-07, 03:35 PM
S
Personally, I like Craig 845's suggestion to beef up under the load points of the table. Unless you sheet with 3/4" ply and then 3/4" hardwood, or something similar, you'll want something solid under the feet anyway I'd guess. How heavy is this pool table?

Steve