Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

stairs creak

NY

11-21-07, 03:33 PM   #1  
stairs creak

we just purchased a new (built 7 years ago) colonial style house and 2 of the carpeted steps on the stairs to the 2nd floor creak when stepped on. No access to area beneath the stairs, don't like idea of pulling carpet up in a relatively new home (plus we're broke from closing costs); any suggestions to end the creaking?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-21-07, 03:38 PM   #2  
If you can isolate the creaking, as to nose, heel, right, left, etc. you can drive 2 1/4" finish trim screws through your carpeting, into the tread and riser, drawing them closer. The screws will require (and may have in the box) a #1 square drive bit. The head will pass through your carpet and won't leave a big hole.

NY

11-23-07, 11:49 AM   #3  
I have various drive bits for all head shapes & sizes; wasn't sure what size screw to use and exactly where to drive it. Thanks Chandler

PA

03-09-08, 05:45 AM   #4  
find out if stairs are pre build or on site build each one is made different that a start if you add just srcews it may add more creaks

Super Moderator

AZ

03-09-08, 08:29 AM   #5  
Chandler.....trim screws won't grab the carpet yarn?

I hate trying to do anything thru carpet, but thats a good thing to know.

MIK...they also have the 'squeek-no-more ' thing at most hardware stores. I understand (no pers experience) those are supposed to work well.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread