Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

putting up walls in my basement

NJ

11-27-07, 07:50 AM   #1  
putting up walls in my basement

I am in getting ready to convert my basement over to liveing space. When I got the permits the township told me that I need to have fire stops at the tops of the wall can any one tell what this is. As well as how to install them.

Thank you

Sponsored Links

MD

11-27-07, 05:55 PM   #2  
hissound,
A firestop is a feature designed to prevent fire from spreading thruogh your house structure, one section to another. The firestop location you have been pointed to is a block between the wall cavity formed behind your new framed wall in bsmt, and the floor joist cavity above. If a fire develops in the basement wall you don't want it swooping up into the floor joists as though it were in a chimney. Nailing continuous 2x material to the bottom of the ceiling joists, filling between the sill plate, poured concrete, block, or whatever is behind, and your new top plate will do the trick. Gypsum is also acceptable, 1-1/4" min I think. Another method is to use a 2x6 or 2x8 top plate slammed tight against the exterior wall, then frame your 2x4 wall down from that, flush on the inside edge - several birds with one stone. Fire blocks also usually go at bulkheads, stair walls, dropped ceilings, etc.. We had one inspector who also had us put them every 8' vertically on the run of townhouse party walls.

Steve

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-28-07, 02:58 PM   #3  
In addition, any holes you drill in the top plate of your wall for electrical or plumbing, etc. you will need to firestop them by using an approved caulk. Check with an electrical supply house for this.

NJ

11-29-07, 07:16 PM   #4  
Question about fire stops

Do I have to put fire stops on top of all the walls or just the walls the run along the brick walls in my basement.

MD

11-30-07, 06:08 PM   #5  
The firestop doesn't go on top of the wall, just to be clear, it goes behind the wall up against the ceiling joists. It separates the dead space behind the new wall from the dead space in the floor framing above, cuttting off the potential for a fire feeding draft. Your other walls should not need firestopping unless your inspector points something out. As I mentioned, bulkheads can create an open path for fire to migrate from wall to floor area. A fire inside a sheeted wall has less air and will meet the top plate barrier unless it can jump into another open area like a bulkhead or ceiling.

Steve

Search this Thread