Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Butt wood frame to steel stud wall with concrete behind

Old 11-30-07, 08:09 AM

First, thanks to the moderators and frequent contributors for this forum. I'm finishing my basement, and I've found answers to all my questions so far just by looking through this forum (and there have been many questions!).

One problem I haven't found an answer to is this: My basement came with steel stud framing to insulate the exterior walls. I'm doing the additional framing with wood, but I'm not sure how to butt the wood walls up to the steel framing.

Specifically, I will be inserting two wood studs into the metal tracks to provide backing for drywall at the corners, as well as a surface to attach the butted wall to (shown in the picture below). My question is, how do I screw the backside of the wood stud to the steel track (indicated by the red arrow), since I can't access the track from behind due to the close proximity of the concrete basement wall to the track.

Thanks!
Louis.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-07, 03:50 PM
Louis, I would screw thru the stud into the track. Reverse the direction of your red arrow and run the screw that way. Do the same on the other side as well. It needs to only hold the stud from twisting in the track until you get the sheating done then it will not move. The end of the screw sticking into the space in the back will not hurt anything unless it is too long and hits the wall and makes the track move.

Old 11-30-07, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestion badeye! That's what I figured I'd have to do, but I wasn't sure how firm the stud has to be held onto the metal tracks. I gather that this stud is there solely for drywall backing? Or does it serve a structural purpose as well? It seems the bottom and top plates of the new wall should be sufficient structurally. Is this correct?

Old 12-01-07, 09:29 AM
Yes, you are correct.

Old 12-06-07, 10:39 AM
Thanks for your help badeyeben. I ended up screwing the 2x4 'L' together, and screwing through the front of the track into both pieces, based on your advice. Figured this would immobolize the assembly and keep it from twisting, without having to worry about attaching to the backside of the track. Seems to have worked pretty good.

Old 12-06-07, 02:14 PM
We both knew you could do it. Glad I gave you a shove in the right direction.