Rebuilding exterior wall

Old 11-30-07, 04:25 PM
Rebuilding exterior wall

A portion of the back wall of my house has been eaten by termites. Bad termite damage. Rather than hire a contractor, which I cannot afford under any circumstances, I'd like to replace as much of the bad wood as possible. (Standard 2x4 framed wall) I'm a little leery of the task - my thought is place a good stud next to the bad stud (for weight-bearing purposes), remove the bad stud, bang the new stud into the same place as the old stud, then toenail the new stud into place.

Since this wall contains a door and a window, there are quite a few studs next to each other, as well as the cripple studs, header, and window framing that I need to replace.

If my plan to replace the studs sounds doable, can I use the same technique to replace the headers?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

JaxSolo

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-07, 03:30 PM
Your plan suggests several questions, the first being: what about the wall plates top and bottom? Termites usually start from the ground and go on from there. If the damage is as extensive as it sounds (headers?) it might just be easier to tear out and replace a whole section of wall. Is your house on a slab? Further description of how your house is built and the extent of the damage would help.

Steve

Old 12-01-07, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And to accomplish what Steve suggests, you will have to build a false wall about 2 or 3' inside the house from the exterior wall to hold up the house while you remove the wall and replace all the wood, including the bottom (treated) plate and studs. You didn't state what the exterior of the house is made of, brick, vinyl, etc.

Old 12-25-07, 11:21 AM
Rebuilding exterior wall

Thanks for the replies. I apologize for not acknowledging your responses sooner.

house is built on a slab. Exterior is T111 siding. Sill plates appear to be intact. The studs are eaten up to the point where there is little wood to hold a nail. The window header and framing studs are paper. The damage is much more extensive on the stud faces of the interior wall than of the exterior wall.

Headers and top plates have signs of damage, though not to the extent of the wall studs.

I acknowledge the best way to do it is to rebuild the wall in the manner Steve suggests, though I'm not certain I have the skills to do it (I don't know why I think I could do it piecemeal...). Of course the BEST way is to hire a qualified contractor...

Old 12-25-07, 08:20 PM
It sounds like these termites are serious. The first thing I would suggest, if you haven't already done it, is to thoroughly exterminate them, treating your foundation etc. as necessary. Also, you may have more damage than you think, a professional inspection might be good. If you see damage in the top plates, joists would be the next step in their path. Best to get a complete picture of the situation and then make a plan rather than start and then get surprised.

Old 01-03-08, 06:52 AM
I hate to say it but this is a big job, even for a qualified contractor. If the top and bottom plates were in tack and there were no openings then you would stand a chance - but being that the top plates need replacing, the job in front of you is a big one. Remembering that the exterior wall sheathing is nailed to these studs so if you take out too many at once (which you would need to do to replace the top plate) then then the shealthing and siding becomes unstable. Plus how do you hold the existing doors and windows in place while removing the framing around them.

I sincerely feel bad for you having to tackle this yourself. But if possible, I would do it during warmer weather and take the siding and windows out, then the wall shealthing and finally replace the bad material - of course you would need the false load bearing wall installed ahead of time.