Do termites eat pressure treated wood?

Old 12-13-07, 08:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Do termites eat pressure treated wood?

I am building a screened in room in florida and was going to build a 3 block high wall as the base, then PT wood the rest of the way up. Then, I began to wonder. What if I just use PT wood for the entire structure (PT wood would be right on the concrete slab). Would termites attack the PT wood or do I definately need the knee high block wall to keep the wood away from the little buggers?
Joey D
Any insight is appreciated.

Old 12-13-07, 10:56 AM
Most name brand mfgs such as Wolman warranty their product against termite damage.

Google "treated wood" and pick a site. Most have warranties on line you can read for yourself.

Old 12-13-07, 11:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I used to live in fla and termites will eat PT wood but it takes a long while before they will Since none of the wood has ground contact, you shouldn't have any problems. The biggest advantage to a knee wall is it would place the PT at a height that would be easier to inspect - it's easier for the termites to go unnoticed when their entrance is hid by mulch or vegetation.

Old 01-09-08, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
termites and pt wood

Originally Posted by joevdenne
I am building a screened in room in florida and was going to build a 3 block high wall as the base, then PT wood the rest of the way up. Then, I began to wonder. What if I just use PT wood for the entire structure (PT wood would be right on the concrete slab). Would termites attack the PT wood or do I definately need the knee high block wall to keep the wood away from the little buggers?
Joey D
Any insight is appreciated.
yes!!!! termites will eat pt wood. the wood does not have to be on the ground either. those little buggers will climb to the wood through dirt/mud tunnels. the only way to keep the termites away is to treat the wood. the newer pt lumber may have some insect/termite repellent in it, but better safe than sorry. treat it before you cover it up.

Old 01-10-08, 06:13 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Depends of the success of the treatment process. For example Southern Pine absorbs treatment better than denser woods such as Douglas-fir and retains it longer, see for example:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fpl_rn295.pdf

Bottom line is that treated lumber becomes increasingly subject to attack over time, and as other have noted you need to have appropriate termite barriers and then regularly check for evidence of termite activity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: