Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do you subfloor over a heater vent hole?

CO

12-18-07, 08:09 AM   #1  
How do you subfloor over a heater vent hole?

I am going to tile the area where my wood stove is going to go. There are 2 holes in the area, one is a fresh air vent from where the existing fireplace insert was, and the other is a heater vent hole. Rather than leave this open and tile around it, I want to cover it to keep debris from falling into it. I need to know the best way, and hopefully the easiest way to put subfloor on these holes before I can put the Hardi-board over it. Any help or more resources are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

12-18-07, 10:30 AM   #2  
You could nail or screw a 2 x underneath it inbetween the joists, flat, up against the underside of the floor. (This board would be as large or somewhat larger than the hole.) Then cut a reasonably fitting 3/4? ply piece or board of correct thickness to fill in the hole, to be even with top of existing floor, and drill and screw. This would be a piece-in method.

Another way would be to cut out floor from center of one joist to center of next joist and put in a 16 inch piece in it's place.

You could use construction adhesive along with nails or screws in the making of either method.

Search this Thread