How do you subfloor over a heater vent hole?

Old 12-18-07, 08:09 AM
How do you subfloor over a heater vent hole?

I am going to tile the area where my wood stove is going to go. There are 2 holes in the area, one is a fresh air vent from where the existing fireplace insert was, and the other is a heater vent hole. Rather than leave this open and tile around it, I want to cover it to keep debris from falling into it. I need to know the best way, and hopefully the easiest way to put subfloor on these holes before I can put the Hardi-board over it. Any help or more resources are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 10:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could nail or screw a 2 x underneath it inbetween the joists, flat, up against the underside of the floor. (This board would be as large or somewhat larger than the hole.) Then cut a reasonably fitting 3/4? ply piece or board of correct thickness to fill in the hole, to be even with top of existing floor, and drill and screw. This would be a piece-in method.

Another way would be to cut out floor from center of one joist to center of next joist and put in a 16 inch piece in it's place.

You could use construction adhesive along with nails or screws in the making of either method.