Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need to fix holes in floor joists - code violation

12-26-07, 06:06 AM   #1  
Need to fix holes in floor joists - code violation

I have 8 consecutive 2x8 (12 ft long) floor joists with one hole on each. These holes are lined up which I think they meant to run a pipe or cables. These holes are 4 ft from the edge of the joist, 1-1/2" in diameter and 1-1/4" from the bottom edge of the joist. Is there a specific length for sistering with new 2x8? Will 2-1/2 ft of treated 2x8 do? I have inspectors coming over soon and these holes are right above the load box, no way they are going to miss it and I'll be in trouble. They also know me so if I ask them then they'll know there is something going on. In my town they have the reputation of being a******s! I live in NJ.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Sponsored Links

MD

12-26-07, 09:19 AM   #2  
Ask them

If they are coming anyway, why not ask them beforehand for the proper resolution to the problem?

Any advice here may or may not satisfy a local inspector as they may have different rules they follow locally.

At least if you do the repair as they want it done, you don't run the risk of having to do it over again.

I would suspect it will be little more than sistering on another 2x8, much longer than your suggested 2 1/2 feet, but again they may want it to go a specific distance beyond the hole in each direction.

Also, why do you think you need PT lumber. Is the damaged joist PT?

Super Moderator

AZ

12-26-07, 09:25 AM   #3  
hole fix

Good answer Sgt,

I've always found, if you ask, 95% of them will tell you what you need to do. Why try and juryrig something, then have to pull even more stuff out to do it right?

ndl3 it might be different there, but i doubt it. They'd rathar know you are trying to do the right thing. Mistakes happen, thats why they have inspectors.

You can always call the office, or go to the office and ask, that way you don't need to give names or addresses.

Best in 2008

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MN

01-03-08, 06:38 AM   #4  
I agree totally. If you keep them involved and ask questions - they are much easier to deal with. The people who call them a******s are generally the ones who are trying to get away with something and get caught. If you keep them involved and make their job easier, I can assure you that you won't be one of the people calling them a******s.

Search this Thread