Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Moving a Steel I-Beam Support

01-11-08, 11:47 AM   #1  

I am in beginning stages of remodeling my basement and have 2 posts supporting a steel I-beam that spans approximately 25 feet across the middle of my basement. One of the posts is within 3 feet(offset) of a 4" sewer drain pipe coming down from the 1st floor. The post is the type concreted into the floor and bolted into the I-beam.

My question is, can I put another post (screw type) in line with my drain and remove the current post. This would make the post and drain within 10-12" of each other and take less room to box in with drywall in the middle of my room.

What are anyone's thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsored Links

MN

01-11-08, 12:07 PM   #2  

What do you propose to set the beam on?

You have no idea of the thickness or quality of the concrete in the area you are proposing. In the area close to the sewer drain, the fittings may not have been low enough so you may not have anything strong enough for a post that carries thousands of pounds of load.

A structural post should be on its own spread footing with the usually concrete poured over it. - Have an engineer tell you what the options are since the beam above may not be good enough (or be bouncy) when the post is moved. He will also tell you how big your footing will be. After that, you can knock out the concrete and see if the sewer piping interfers or if there are other pipes joining it.

Dick

TN

01-11-08, 12:10 PM   #3  
Posted By: leopard659928 I am in beginning stages of remodeling my basement and have 2 posts supporting a steel I-beam that spans approximately 25 feet across the middle of my basement. One of the posts is within 3 feet(offset) of a 4" sewer drain pipe coming down from the 1st floor. The post is the type concreted into the floor and bolted into the I-beam.

My question is, can I put another post (screw type) in line with my drain and remove the current post. This would make the post and drain within 10-12" of each other and take less room to box in with drywall in the middle of my room.

What are anyone's thoughts? Thanks!
the posts are holding up your house. they should have been spaced in accordance with the weight requirements of the plans. moving the post will put more weight on one section than it may be able to carry effectively. i don't think i would take it out. maybe someone else has a better solution!

01-11-08, 12:39 PM   #4  
Thanks for your input. I think I will just leave the post where it is. I would rather a 2-3' column in my room than my 1st floor in my basement.

Search this Thread