Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

using shingles to flatten subfloor

KY

01-16-08, 05:55 AM   #1  
using shingles to flatten subfloor

When you use shingles to flatten an area of the subfloor to get it ready for laminate, how to you fasten it to the floor? Just a simple nail in, or should you screw it in?

Also, do you just lay the underlayment right on top of the shingles, or do you put something over the shingles before you put down the underlayment?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

01-16-08, 08:42 AM   #2  
shingles?

to build up a subfloor? Wow, thats one I never heard of before. Can't wait for some replies on this.

Sorry, never heard of it before. Always used floor leveling compound.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

KY

01-16-08, 09:39 AM   #3  
Posted By: Gunguy45 to build up a subfloor? Wow, thats one I never heard of before.
If you do a search in the flooring section for "shingles" you find a bunch of posts. Unfortunately, none of those posts (from what I can find) tells you HOW to do it, only that you can use shingles.

Super Moderator

AZ

01-16-08, 10:06 AM   #4  
shingles

whitenack,
Ahhh now i see. Like i said, i never heard of it, but then, the only flooring work I've ever done was either over concrete, or steel/aluminum subfloor.

I did see one post about putting the roofing felt as the final top layer, but nothing about how to fasten down when yer using laminate (floating I presume?). They were all talking about naildown.

I'm sure you'll be getting a response soon.

Best of Luckl

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

KY

01-18-08, 11:10 AM   #5  
Here's a stupid thought?

Would just an extra layer of underlayment do the job?

THat might be too thick, but I might be able to whittle some off to make it the correct thickness?

WOuld that work, or would that not be stiff enough?

Search this Thread