Is My Subfloor Ready For Engineered Wood Floors

Old 01-24-08, 07:13 PM
Is My Subfloor Ready For Engineered Wood Floors

Hi,

I just bought 5/16 BR111 Tigerwood engineered floors. I also bought the 5star 6mm cork underlayment, for my entire upstairs.

The home is a fixer upper and currently only the subfloor is there which is 3/4 plywood. I did have to replace a piece in one of the rooms because it was warped along with the joist.

I sanded the joist down and screwed in the new piece of plywood. There is however, no more than an 1/8th of difference and small gaps where I replaced the plywood. I filled in the larger gap with liquid nail.

One room also slopes down toward one wall, (which didn't have proper support), but is still pretty flat.

My question is will the 1/8th difference in the plywood be a problem? And should I use some kind of self leveler for the wall and the 1/8th gap? If so any suggestion will help since i've never used it before. I'm a new DIYer, but as long as it's not to complicated I would like to save money and do it myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would have used one of the floor leveling compounds instead of the liquid nails, since liquid nails is not a filler, nor a caulk, but an adhesive. Take out as much of the liquid nails as you can and use a leveling compound. You will be alot happier with the results.

Old 01-25-08, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I would have used one of the floor leveling compounds instead of the liquid nails, since liquid nails is not a filler, nor a caulk, but an adhesive. Take out as much of the liquid nails as you can and use a leveling compound. You will be alot happier with the results.
Thanks for the advise. I used the liquid nail because I didn't want the self leveler on top and for it to fall through the crack.

Do you know which self leveler I should use I did take a look at Home Depot and they only had one in stock at the time, but it was for a slab, is there a difference for a wood subfloor self leveler?

Old 01-25-08, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would go to a tile/flooring store and see what they have in stock for your situation. They will probably have a better selection and may be more knowledgeable.