Squeaky floor

Old 01-28-08, 08:33 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squeaky floor

Hello all. My house is, roughly,14 years old and the squeaking in my sons room is terrible. This room is on the 2nd floor and it sounds as if he is going to come right through. We had our house recarpeted about 2 years ago and while i waited for the installers I removed all furniture and decided to cut the carpet in this room and remove it myself. I consider Myself very handy and thought that this was the perfect oppertunity to fix this problem. What I found was that the flooring was just nailed down. I removed a lot of nails and took some of the plywood up in the noisy area. I then applied constrction adhesive and screwed all plywood back down. This did very little to help so I started installing 3" lag screws with an electric impact. This did not work either. It got to the point where I had to quit cause the carpet was ready to be installed. I really wish I had more time cause the sound is terrible. Should I have replaced the plywood?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 09:20 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Ran into a similar situation recently. Turns out that the sqeaks were NOT coming from the floor at all. Instead, the noises originated from the adjacent wall. When the building was constructed, the interior wall was put up and nailed in place randomly to the plywood - not hitting any floor joists or anything solid for that matter. When you walked on the floor, the baseplate seperated from the plywood and road on the nails, creaking like crazy. Baffled me and one of my guys for quite a while till we figured it out (had already screwed down the entire floor to no avail).

We ended up taking some scrap Oak and fabricating little shims out of it, no more than 1/8" featherd to a point. Removed the baseboard and tapped the shims under the baseplate along its entire length. Cut off the excess and reinstalled the baseboard. Took care of the squeaks in the room we were working and the adjacent room that shared the interior wall.

You will need a parnter to help diagnose if this is the problem in your house. One person needs to get his ear close to the ground while the other person walks, shuffles, jumps (etc.) around to duplicate whatever noises are present.