Min ceiling height for walk in pantry?

Old 02-03-08, 10:39 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Min ceiling height for walk in pantry?

Hi,

I currently have a 4'x4' pantry that has a finished ceiling height of about 6'4". This was part of the original design of the house which was built 10 years ago and there are many other houses like it around me. Reason I mention this is because I'm assuming this ceiling height is up to code (although I know it's no guarantee). The pantry is under a stair landing.

I redid my stairs with hardwood treads, housed stringer etc. so I now have access to the landing which is adjacent to the exisitng pantry. I would like to enlarge the pantry to take in the area under the second landing. However, because of the lower landing and some headers under a joist, the finished ceiling height would be about 5'10". Most of the additional space would be taken up with shelves so the "depth" of the walkable area with the lower ceiling height would only be a couple feet at most.

Are there any applicable codes on this type of thing? I'm told there are but of course no one can tell me exactly what they are and why the existing pantry is OK.

Thanks

Old 02-03-08, 11:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your pantry areas constitute storage rather than living areas, and codes probably wouldn't enter the picture. You could check with your local authorities to see if they have any objections, but, you are the one who will have to live with the small height. Utilizing the space is a good move.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: