Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to frame ceiling for drywall?

MI

02-09-08, 08:27 PM   #1  
How to frame ceiling for drywall?

How would I go about framing a ceiling for drywall? I built a house about 4 years ago, and paid the builder extra to raise the ceiling in the basement to 9' so that it could be finished at 8'. However, there is a significant amount of ductwork and pipes/wiring running along the ceiling, making it impossible to finish it flat to the joists.

I'm thinking that I want some sort of auxillary framing, but really don't know where to start (how to measure it, how to attach it to the existing ceiling, etc.). I can provide pictures of what I have if that would be helpful.

-ag

Sponsored Links

LA

02-10-08, 06:01 AM   #2  
A suspended ceiling like you see in office spaces might be the simplest and best. The rails hang on wires that can be placed just about anywhere, then the panels sit on the rails and are easily removed for mechanical access.

MI

02-14-08, 12:43 PM   #3  
We usually box around duct work and beams with framing to drywall and use a drop cieling for the rest for any access in future, being cable, internet, power, plumbing, etc. try to keep framing as close as possible to obsticles.

PA

03-25-08, 06:17 PM   #4  
Drop ceiling would be the cheapest fastest idea. Access to everything is down there and yes, pictures are good. I do not like drop ceilings however, there is decorative metal stamped tiles that can be finished with crown,,, it's quite nice. Cheers

Search this Thread