Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'Hanging Edge' on subfloor

VA

02-24-08, 07:34 AM   #1  
'Hanging Edge' on subfloor

Doing a bath remodel (second level) that required me to pull up most of the floor to re-route plumbing. I have cut the floor flush to the base of the walls. This has caused a situation where, when I re-install the floor I will not be able to reach a floor joist for a couple edges of the subfloor that will run parallel to the joists.
I need some thoughts on how to appropriately support these edges. The situation is complicated by plumbing and HVAC ducting that runs within the joist section. Fortunately, this section of the floor won't be supporting much in the way of weight.
Is there a 'low-profile' option to support this hanging edge? Steel bracing? Would 2x4's be sufficient? Could 2x4, 6, or 8's be laid on their sides?
Would attach pics if I could figure out how to do that, sorry.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

CANADA

02-24-08, 09:13 AM   #2  
2x4's or 6's on side would do the trick..(2x4's would be easier to deal with and 'toe-screw, like toe-nailing but with 3" screws..) as there may be clearing issues with your new duct work and its at the edge, where there isnt normal heavy traffic or weight.
Had to do that for a client's bathroom remodel and all is good.

VA

02-24-08, 06:26 PM   #3  
Thanks!
Any advice on placement distance between the supports?
The hanging edge will be about 10-in from the joist. One wall is a 9-ft run and the second is only 4-ft.

CANADA

02-25-08, 05:53 PM   #4  
If you have the clearance, free from any duct work etc.. what Ive done is to set my 2x4 on edge, 1/2 way under the old floor, so that 3/4(+/-) is under the old floor, leaving about the same amount to screw your new sub floor down to. If you wanted to, you could double up the 2x4's for more screwing area...but this area is around the perimeter.. Not a heavy traffic area and probably a good portion would be covered by base/+ cabinet + toilet.. and the door area. Still good base for those areas...
When or if you have to, screw in 2x4's wherever there is a seam...from old to new...and possibly around the toilet waste pipe area..for xtra support.
Now's the time to do it...!
You'll be fine...!!

VA

03-01-08, 06:38 AM   #5  
Thanks, planning to shore the edges up this weekend.
The reassurances are very helpful!

CANADA

03-01-08, 07:26 AM   #6  
You're welcome... and
Good luck..and let us know how you made out..!

Search this Thread