Tough Squeaks In Apartment Subfloor

Old 03-14-08, 11:08 AM
Question Tough Squeaks In Apartment Subfloor

Hello, my name is Mark, and I'm new to DIY message board.

I recently moved into an apartment in El Paso, Texas. I asked the aparment sales agent if the material separating the two story building were made of concrete, she told me, yes. I should've know it was a sales job when I saw the balcony porches with wooden decking. They even used nails instead of screws, and didn't even sand the surface. Now, if I'm barefooted, I usually get a splinter.

However the real problem is not the porch. That, I can fix. However there are several floorboards that have seen more action than they should have. I imagine my downstairs neighbor must think I weight a ton, but a few spots squeak no matter what. I realize the causes of this problem, howevever, short of pulling up the apartment's carpet, I cannot remedy the situation.

I was once told that if your were certain enough about where the squeak was being emitted from, you could cut a half moon section of carptet about the size of a quarter, then drive your screw into the problem area. Then take a small amount of strong glue (preferably carpet glue), and fasten the carpet back down so nobody will notice.

I'm scared to try that idea, since it's the apartments' carpeting. Any ideas for sneaking throught the carpet to get to the problem?

Sincerely,

MARK

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-08, 11:47 AM
The carpet is probably on a foam underlay, so glue wouldn't work. Besides, a carpet does normally shift enough to break a small glue bond.

I don't believe there's a way to address this without rolling back some carpet.

Old 03-14-08, 12:32 PM
I've seen in the box stores squeak repair kits that have special screws and a driver for screwing the floor down to the joists. The kit has an insertion depth gage and screws that have special threads and a notch in the side. You screw through carpeting and break the screw off at the top of the flooring. How you determine where the floor joists are through carpeting is beyond me.

Old 03-14-08, 03:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've used those squeak repair kits...went through a bunch of screws trying to hit the joist just right. You can still feel the shank after the head breaks off. I agree with Kobuchi...just roll the carpet back.

Old 03-14-08, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by formula1 View Post
How you determine where the floor joists are through carpeting is beyond me.
Yeah, racked brains on that too.