Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

quick question on non-load bearing wall framing...

03-15-08, 09:03 AM   #1  
quick question on non-load bearing wall framing...

Since I don't have any 16 foot 2x4's, does anyone know if its generally accepted to build a 15 foot non-load bearing wall in 2 sections and nail them together? Or does it vary from state to state?

I tried serching the forum but found nothing...

thanks for any replies!

Sponsored Links

03-15-08, 09:26 AM   #2  
Not sure exactly what you mean... but... you can build a non-load bearing wall in sections using shorter top and bottom plates for your vertical wall stud runs...

03-15-08, 10:03 AM   #3  
What I mean is, if I have a 16 foot long wall to build, is it correct to build 2 8' walls, stand them up, and nail them together?

..and by your reply it looks like I can

03-15-08, 10:16 AM   #4  
That's what I'm saying...

In an existing structure, it's often a very tight fit to try to build a wall then stand it up. If you can do it - great! I usually set my top and bottom plates then nail my vertical wall studs to them.

03-17-08, 11:11 AM   #5  
Are you talking about a 16' high wall or a 16' long wall?

If it's 16' long, then I would stagger the joints on the plates (on the top and bottom).

If it's a 16' high wall that is not load bearing then I don't think there will be much in the way of regulations. But I would be concerned with the wall buckling if you build an 8' wall on top of another 8' wall. If something or someone fell into the wall then it might buckle in the middle. What are you covering it with drywall? You could always throw some plywood on the wall to tie the 2 sections together a little better.

Search this Thread