Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom subfloor

03-17-08, 05:40 AM   #1  
Bathroom subfloor

I'm going to be installing 12x12 ceramic tile in my bathroom. The current floor is 3/4 diagonal plank subfloor, 3/4 ply with an additional 1/4 under linoleum tile. The floor in the hallway is 3/4 oak hardwood. I would like to limit the height difference between the bathroom and hallway. I saw on HomeTime that you can take up all the subfloor and pony 2x4on the joists, recessed 3/4 to allow for 3/4 ply cut to size to fit between the joists. Then add 3/4 ply over that, hardibacker, tile. Is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-17-08, 01:50 PM   #2  
I hope I understand this correctly. The difference as it stands now is about 3/4" between the bathroom and hallway. If you left your subflooring as it is, remove the 1/4" and linoleum, thinset in 1/2" Durock or Hardie, then install your tile, you would just about be level with the hardwood in the hallway. Hometime has alot more help than just Dean Johnson when it comes to these projects, and the simpler the better. You would have adequate support with what you have plus the cbu.

03-17-08, 03:06 PM   #3  
The current bathroom floor is slightly higher than the hardwood, as it includes the additional 1/4 and linoleum. Removing that portion would leave the bathroom floor (3/4 plywood over 3/4 tongue and groove diagonal slat subfloor) about even with the hall (3/4 oak hardwood over t and g subfloor). I'm afraid the height difference will be too great if I just remove the 1/4 and linoleum and install the hardie and tile over the t and g and the 3/4 ply.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

03-17-08, 04:58 PM   #4  
I don't think you need worry about the bath floor being higher. I would just use a transition piece, you can get them in the flooring department. It will be such a slight angle, you will barely feel it.

Search this Thread