Sill and Joist Question

Old 03-23-08, 06:14 PM
Sill and Joist Question

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Massachusetts. During the home inspection, termite damage was found in some baseboards in the basement and some wood wall paneling.

the issue: The entire basement ceiling is finished so I cannot see the sill or the joists. This is an obvious concern for me as I know there can be a cost associated with damage caused. One thing I can see is that there are steel support beams in the basement.

During my negotiations, what should I be looking at for a worst case cost to replace the sill and joists. I know this is difficult to assess via the net, but I would just like some personal opinions from people before I go out and get contractors to come over and possibly have the seller rip the ceiling down. The house is a 3 story colonial with brick front and vinyl siding on the other three sides. Total house size is roughly 4500 sf and that includes basement and attic. Each level is roughly 1200 square feet.

One note is that during the home inspection, no signs of sagging were found in the house i.e. window/door frames and soggy hardwood floors. Should I feel comfortable that because none of these signs were found that there is no major damage?

One note is that during the home inspection, no signs of sagging were found in the house i.e. window/door frames and soggy hardwood floors. Should I feel comfortable that because none of these signs were found that there is no major damage?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-08, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Duplicate post.

Search this Thread