Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement Slab Subflooring

CO

04-14-08, 12:22 PM   #1  
Basement Slab Subflooring

To subfloor or to not... that's my question.

I know that either way, I'll have to put down some sort of barrier for moisture.

I'm not really too concerned about insulation, but some say the floor feels better (comfortable) when you have subflooring.

The basement will be 2/3 carpet and 1/3 hardwood. I'm thinking about engineered wood.

So my question is... is the comfort people are talking about worth putting in subflooring??

If so, can you guys tell me my options in terms of product to use. I am aware of products from Dricore, which appears to be at the premium end at about $1.49 per sqft. What are some cost-effective alternatives... considering I would be doing the work myself... I don't mind having to do the extra work to save on materials.

If the comfort is not worth it, what vapor barrier options do I have? And as far as the "evenness" of the slab, what about the hardwood flooring?? What tolerances does it have for evenness? And if there are uneveness, what are my options for leveling if I don't use subflooring?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

WA

05-16-08, 10:59 AM   #2  
I use a 1/4" foil radiant barrier. It's foil with a closed cell foam center. It's great for carpet or wood floors. Just lay it down and off you go. I have the website if you want it... It cost around .32 sq ft.

Search this Thread