Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

hump in floor

04-15-08, 10:31 AM   #1  
hump in floor

Hi

I just moved into an older 50s home. there is an area about 3 ft square where the floor has a noticible hump. I have looked under the floor and have noticed a joist that is sistered. the end of the sistering joist is 1/4 of an inch above the adjacent joist. I suspect some settling occurred at the other end but cant access to see. Since I can access the area involved is there any problem in cutting 1/2 inch or so off the top of the joist that is pushing the floor up. I just wnat ot be re-assured that that I am not compromising the strucure in any way. I hope I explained this well enough. thanks for any and all suggestions. what tool would you use, I dont have alot of room to work with.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

04-15-08, 04:46 PM   #2  
Where is the end of the joist that you can't see it?

Is this something that developed?, or could it always have been an issue where say someone got ahold of an extra wide joist?

And what joist are you calling adjacent?: The one to which the sister is nailed?, or the one next to it that is 16 inches away?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

04-15-08, 04:55 PM   #3  
Hi Dpayne and welcome to the DIY Forums! Ecman has a lot of important questions for you, but you know what they say..."A picture is worth a thousand words." If you could post a link to a photo here, we'll be able to see what you do

Connie

Search this Thread