Main Floor Beam

Old 04-16-08, 10:45 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Main Floor Beam

Need to know if I can notch into my basement main beam for a couple of doors. Its a 6x8 oak beam and has a wall I built under it and want to put in 2 doorways for rooms. My ceiling is only 6' 11" and I want to notch my beam at each opening 2-3 inches leaving me 5x6 above doorways. Thanks,Dick

Old 04-17-08, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning, Dick and welcome to the DIY Forums!

You will need to draw up your plans and take them to your city or county planning and zoning office for approval. This is a structural issue and must be reviewed and approved by a professional. (Sorry, I know it sounds simple to just notch it, but it's not

Connie

Old 04-21-08, 05:41 AM
I see two problems. First, its very unlikely that your local officials allow you to notch this beam without reinforcing it in some way. The best way to do so would be bolting steel flitch plates to the side of the beam. And since this is somewhat of an unusual circumstance which can't be corroborated easily by industry standards, you'll need to obtain calculations from the apporopriate professional to convince your building officials that it will work. The second problem is that they'll want to see a minumum of 6'8" door height which sounds to me like you'll need to remove almost the entire beam above the doorway. You MAY be able to get around this one. good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: