Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is there minimum closet dimensions for a bedroom?

MA

04-17-08, 03:02 PM   #1  
Is there minimum closet dimensions for a bedroom?

We are remodeling our second floor and want to add/change bedrooms...just curious if there were minimums for closet dimensions as space is tight.

Bristol County, MA.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

04-17-08, 04:00 PM   #2  
Length is your choice. Width is something where you have to know what type of clothes are going in it, to decide if you can downsize from say 24 inches on finish wall to finish wall inside, or bring it down to 19 inches, as I have done on a few occasions.

You can experiment by putting clothes on clothes hanger and having clothes almost or touch inside wall, and measure out, and you will see what I mean; that there is some leeway there. Depending on how thick the clothes are going over the clothes hanger can weigh into this. Big bulging ski coats are not too good an idea as then you may have to stuff the arms of the coat in as you close the door. Better off leaving coats in an entry closet or hooks somewhere.

Code compliant? Probably not. (But not sure). But I can't recall people taking permits out on closets.

MA

04-17-08, 04:57 PM   #3  
Thanks for that idea, we were just trying to stay within code, just incase we decide to sell in the future.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

04-18-08, 05:44 PM   #4  
You could call anonymously(from some other phone) to the building inspector's office and run this by him, if you are concerned. I've made such calls before.

04-25-08, 11:55 AM   #5  
I've seen some ridiculous enclosures that are called "a closet" in the past.... too small to hang anything but a childs hanger - too narrow to put more than 3 childrens coats inside... but they pass the code definition of a "closet". More importantly, regardless of whether or not it's legal - is it big enough to pass muster with prospective buyers in the future - or so small that they notice it and figure everything else in the house is substandard also......

BTW - In my experience, the building permit office is one of the most helpful places in the city for a DIYer. I've dealt with 8 different offices in the past 5 years and, without exception, they have been friendly and helpful. Don't automatically assume that you need an adversarial relationship when dealing with them. Drop by their place in the mid-morning hours (after the early rush) - and say hello - and ask your questions...... They're not there to "get you"... but to help you - and protect you and future owners of your property.

Search this Thread