Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wrong size plywood???

IL

04-17-08, 09:31 PM   #1  
wrong size plywood???

I ordered 1/2" plywood for a subfloor. The plywood was delivered when I was away and I seen right away that it is 1/4". At first look,I thought it was cardboard. My plan was to use 1/2 inch plywood over the 7/8" planks. Would it be ok to use this 1/4" plywood over the 7/8" planks. It's an upstairs bedroom that's going to get carpet. I just re-done the bathroom with 1/2" plywood over the same 7/8" planks.

Sponsored Links

04-17-08, 11:04 PM   #2  
It's not pressboard is it?

If it's 3-ply stuff, there could easily be large voids in the center ply. That's a weak spot I can easily see a chair leg crunching through.

04-18-08, 08:14 AM   #3  
While your original subfloor would be adaquate for stiffness (assuming it's in good condition)... that 1/4 inch stuff will do nothing for the structural stability of your floor (why bother?). Call the store - have them make it right! Sounds like you're willing to compromise for the sake of expediency..... have patience... it will get done - but do it properly...

Search this Thread