Steel Studs for BBQ Islands

Old 04-26-08, 08:29 AM
Steel Studs for BBQ Islands

Does anybody know which is best for bbq islands either 2 1/2 in. or the 3 5/8 in. studs or will either work just as well. I appreciate any insight on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi snorindad and welcome to the DIY Forums!

I have never constructed one of these islands, but It seems like there would be good reasons to use metal- no bowing, splitting, rotting or termites.

Here's a page that uses metal stud in the construction of the island.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...cueIsland.html

Let us know what you decide to do, and check back again, because perhaps someone else will come along who has done this project.

Connie

Old 04-27-08, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the web site steel studs come in two sizes 2 1/2 and 3 5/8 and i was not sure which to use so after i put this question up i went down to a bbq island store to look at some and i talked with the owner and he said the 2 1/2 would be good for the main part of the island but he recomended using the 3 5/8 for the overhang or bar section because it would give more strength.

thanks for the reply

Old 04-29-08, 06:12 AM
You also want 16 guage steel, not the cheaper stuff and unless you are going to mud it with lath, brown coat and top coat, you also want to use a waterproofer over the substrate, especially in a freeze/thaw area.

1. This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 34 seconds.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 10 seconds.
Gets me all the time