Alteration to load bearing wall

Old 04-30-08, 06:15 PM
Smile Alteration to load bearing wall

My basement has just been ripped out following a flood. Luckily, the nice insurance man is taking care of the repairs. As it stands, the basement has a load bearing framed wall running the length of the room, right down the middle. Ideally, I'd like to open this room up completely but realize that I still need to support the first floor joists. I'm wondering whether it would be possible to do this by means of pillars that I could then decorate and disguise. If so, is there a maximum span between pillars? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-08, 06:55 PM
Your local building code office will dictate what you need to do to secure the load bearing wall, such as adding a load bearing header and number and placement and size of supports. Support posts can always be framed in to look like decorative columns to fit with any decor.

It's always a good idea to have a structural engineer or architect to take a look, too. You don't want to risk the structural integrity of the home.

Old 04-30-08, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
You will still need a beam down the center if you get rid of the wall, so it won't be completely open... that's just not possible. The number of posts and the span between them depends on the load (see structural engineer). Like twelvepole said, an architect could also run the numbers and help suggest a beam size, column locations, etc. The basement floor will need to be beefed up where the columns rest due to the added load. Iron beams would be the best bet if you want to maintain headroom, but you about need a crane to move them, either that or 8 guys. Plus you need a way to get them into position- either a window or a hole in the wall. Long steel beams don't bend around corners too well, you need a straight shot into where they are going.

Old 04-30-08, 07:11 PM
Alteration to load bearing wall

Thats great. Thanks guys

Search this Thread