Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tying a porch header into house framing

MD

05-07-08, 06:37 AM   #1  
Tying a porch header into house framing

I am building a porch over my deck that will be tying into the house. The porch headers will be double 2x10s, supported along the deck by 4x4 posts. Where the header meets the house, it will tie in to the outside wall, so the load can transfer to the foundation of the house. What is the proper framing method for tying the header into the house framing? As it looks now, the header will be at a height such that placing it on top of the top plate would put it too high.

Photo link of rough plans for reference.

Thanks,
Brian

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...orchexport.jpg

Sponsored Links

TN

05-07-08, 10:00 AM   #2  
Porch Header

I will assume you want the top of the headers level with the top of the top plate in the house.

1. Notch the top corner of the headers 3 inches deep vertically for a double top plate. The length of the notch should let the header extend into the house framing flush with the inside edge of the stud.

2. Cut a hole in the outside wall where the header extends through. Should be beside a stud.

3. Attach header to stud.

4. Install jack stud under header to transfer weight to bottom plate of house wall.

MD

05-07-08, 12:02 PM   #3  
Thanks Ken, I wasn't sure if notching was appropriate, sounds good. Should the jack stud be perpendicular to the house framing studs, to completely support the header? What do I do if I find that there are wires in the wall in the location of the jack stud?

Thanks,
Brian

TN

05-07-08, 04:49 PM   #4  
Headers

If you notch and entend both headers, then use two jacks. Orient same as regular studs.

Search this Thread