Raising a roof.

Old 05-13-08, 04:29 PM
Raising a roof.

Not sure if this i the correct place to add this but, about 6 months ago i was traveling the coastal area of SC and saw a older home with a low pitch roof being completly removed and replaced with a steeper pitch replacement. I am seroiusly thinking of doing the same thing to add more useable space and possibly add a extra room or 2.
I am planning on leaving the original 2x6 ceiling joist in place and using a engineered truss placed next to the originial ceiling joist. . My home is a single story ranch that is 32ft in width and 88ft. long . We have a bearing wall in the center that runs the entire lenght of the house. The house is framed with 2x4's 16 on ctr. The current roof is a 4:12 pitch. I'm wanting to go with a 7:12 or 8:12 pitch roof.

My main question: Is this a realistic project? Im sure this is a lil more than DIY, but have any of you ever heard of this being done?

Thanks,

Vic

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-08, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Vic, sure it can be done, but diy??? Probably not. First an engineer must study the structure and come up with a truss design that will accomplish not only what you want, but what will actually work. He'll need to know the live load, dead load of the proposed flooring area, how much room you expect and try to put it in a package.

Old 05-14-08, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have a truss engineer come out Friday and look things over and see what he has to recommend.

Old 05-15-08, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by VC-Racing View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have a truss engineer come out Friday and look things over and see what he has to recommend.
Vic,

You don't need trusses to do that. You should find out what it would cost you for trusses vs stick framing the roof.

Stick framing the roof, you just need rafters, ridge and collar ties, no ceiling joists. If your just doing it for curb appeal and don't need the extra attic space, all you have to do is just frame the new roof over the existing roof cutting back on the existing sheathing and sitting the new rafters on the top plates. No need to remove the existing roof rafters. You will have to remove the shingles.

Trusses come with ceiling joists that you don't need and are paying for.

Material wise, it might be cheaper for trusses,but you have to remove the roof. If you plan on setting the trusses next to the existing ceiling joists and sitting them on the top plate, you have wires, plumbing, duct work in between the ceiling bays that will have to be moved because of the bottom chord of the truss.

If that's the case and you still want to use trusses, see if they can make a scissor truss because they don't have the bottom chord.

We do this alot around here in NJ because of low roof pitches and people just want to change the pitch or roof lines around.

Old 05-17-08, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the input.
I had the truss engineer come out friday and he looked over the house and we both agreed that using trusses would speed up the process as well as give a more sturdy floor for the upper rooms. Presently I only have electrical in the attic area. I have talked to a friend who is a electrician, and inquired as what to do about the elecrical in the attic. He told me that it was not a major prolbem. Our house was built in the early 70's and all the electrical is in good shape but I have been wanting to seperate some of the rooms and have them on thier own circuit, and this would be the time to take on such a task.
I have a Framing contractor coming next week to look over my future project.