leveling basement floor

Old 05-15-08, 03:57 AM
leveling basement floor

I removed the carpet in my basement and found the plywood subfloor had some water damage. I removed the plywood and two layers of old tiles. After doing so and two days of rain the floor is dry. I believe the water damage was from the water heater.

There is one layer of the original tile still on the concrete floor. It is pretty level but some pieces of the tiles are broken/missing, leaving a few areas that are not level.

I am wondering what I can use to fill in these spaces to get the floor level. I am planning on using Delta Fl underlayment with tounge and groove osb over top. The final flooring cover will be carpet with one small section of tile at the bottom of the steps.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-08, 09:46 AM
Your best bet is to remove the all the existing tile and start fresh, as you don't want to go back later to repair a spot that you didn't repair. You can then put down a 1/4" foil/closed cell foam radiant barrier, the carpet pad and the carpet. The 1/4" foil barrier will provide a thermo break and even out any small imperfections. If you need a source for the foil, let me know. I have used it in my house in various applications and it's great.