Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing Gambrel roof trusses

AR

06-26-08, 06:18 AM   #1  
Framing Gambrel roof trusses

I'm building a 12' x 16' "barn-type" shed. My cuts and lengths are correct, but I'm curious about a couple things.

1. What's the best way to fasten all of my truss members together? I read metal splicing plates are not a good idea for a do-it-yourselfer.

2. I was thinking about using a rafter connector or tie for ease of setting them in place, but I'm concerned whatever I end up using to actually fasten the truss together will prevent the bottom of the truss from fitting into the connector. Anyone have experience working with these?

3. What is the most stable way of fastening the trusses to the top of the walls?

Sponsored Links

FL

07-06-08, 04:00 AM   #2  
If you are building your own trusses for barn style roof you can use plywood gussets on each side of your truss joints to hold them together. Lay out each truss as it goes together and glue and screw gussets to each side at each joint. The trusses can then be attached to the side wall with straps. Depending on where you live in the country will decide what kind of strapping is needed. I live in areas where we have very high winds and wall strapping and floor strapping and also anchoring of the whole building is required along with permits and inspections.

Search this Thread