2x6 LVL for "floating" wetwall?

Old 07-01-08, 04:59 AM
2x6 LVL for "floating" wetwall?

My rectangular bathroom abutted a small sewing alcove. When I removed the partition wall between them, I got an L-shaped room that gave me some additional space for the bathroom, and I want to put the shower in the corner.

As the picture shows, the wet-wall (shown in pale red) is unconventional. It will be supported by a "boardwalk" beneath the 3/4" plywood sub-floor. The question is, should I use dimensionally stable LVL for the wet-wall in the shower, to minimize twisting and warping? It will be tiled. I'm using a prefabricated base from WEDI, whose matching tile underlayment wall panels fit into rabbets in the shower base, and are sealed with polyurethane caulk.

The yellow joist, BTW, is a 2x10 LVL sistered, secured with 1/2" lag screws, nails, and glue. It's now supporting part of the partition wall base plate, but was really meant to shore up some sagging in the lower left, where the shower used to be. The shower's in the top right corner.

The top plate of the wet-wall runs perpendicular to the joists in the attic and will be screwed into them 16" o.c. But since the wet-wall will run parallel to and between the floor joists (2x10, 16" o.c.) there was nothing to support it, and I had to sister the joists (sisters are secured with several 3/8" hex bolts and deck screws) and on top of the sisters I placed a rank of eight 2x4s, perpendicular to the sisters. The sisters were trimmed in height so the perpendicular 2x4s lie flush with the top of the original joists.

Thanks

Last edited by timo888; 07-01-08 at 05:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-08, 06:22 AM
What I had in mind was a product like Versa-Stud from Boise Cascade.