Replacing bottom plate of an interior wall

Old 07-06-08, 03:23 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing bottom plate of an interior wall

We had pretty bad termite damage, so I've been replacing the sub-floor. As expected they ate up the bottom plates of the interior and pieces of exterior wall. I replaced the bottom plate, but I had to do so in 3 pieces b/c gas and electrical lines.

The wall looks like its a bit out of alignment with the bottom plate, as in some of the studs are hanging over the bottom plate by 3/8 of an inch or so. Also the wall is bowed in a bit. The plate is pretty tight to the adjoining floor. Am I good to go ahead and tap the studs or do I need to adjust the bottom plate?

Old 07-07-08, 05:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Are the studs that are 3/8 of an inch over the plate, plumb? If they are, then you probably want to move the plate a little.

Old 07-08-08, 04:13 AM
J
Originally Posted by elias127
We had pretty bad termite damage, so I've been replacing the sub-floor. As expected they ate up the bottom plates of the interior and pieces of exterior wall. I replaced the bottom plate, but I had to do so in 3 pieces b/c gas and electrical lines.

The wall looks like its a bit out of alignment with the bottom plate, as in some of the studs are hanging over the bottom plate by 3/8 of an inch or so. Also the wall is bowed in a bit. The plate is pretty tight to the adjoining floor. Am I good to go ahead and tap the studs or do I need to adjust the bottom plate?
String a straight line from end to end and nail the bottom plate to that line and then nail the studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: