Support beam needed for loft addition in garage

Old 07-09-08, 01:20 AM
Support beam needed for loft addition in garage

I have a pole garage, of 6x8" verticle posts. I want to extend an existing loft area in the garage. The distance between the 6x8 posts is 13'. The loft extension will be about 8'x8', and will be used to store normal household stuff (christmas decorations, camping gear, etc., nothing of unusual weight). I plan to glue-and-screw three 2x12s together and attach them to the 6x8" posts to support one side of the loft extension. The other side will sit on an existing pony wall. The decking will be supported by 2x6 joists. I will have brackets fabricated locally to hold the 3 2x12s and attach the bracket to the 6x8" posts. From looking at load limits I believe this support beam will carry just about any normal stuff I put up there. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-08, 05:08 AM
At least in my area a beam must be made with nails or threaded rod / bolts. Screws don't have the shear strength.

If you are required to have inspections they'll tell you if they'll pass this plan.

Old 07-09-08, 06:51 AM
I have no problems with bolting the 2x12s together --in fact, that was my original plan before I read on another site that glue-and-screw was sufficient. But I agree that bolts would be better. I like to "over build" and know that it will withstand what I demand of it, but I don't want to so over-build -- in other words, would 2 2x12s be just as strong, or maybe 3 2x10s? Just trying to get an idea of what's best.