Structural Movement in Garage and Temite Damage

Old 07-10-08, 08:13 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Structural Movement in Garage and Temite Damage

Hi All,

I also have this posted under the Garage section, but I thought you might be able to help me here as well.

I need your help. I am in the process of buying an old home (~90 years old). I just had the home inspection and the inspector mentioned that the garage (2 car) shows signs of extensive structural movement at the garage footings and damage due to termites to the sill plate, studs, and sheathing. The garage was treated for termites and is currently under treatment. I am not concerned with the termite damage as I can easily remove the exterior wall shingles, replace the damage sheathing, sister the damaged studs and replace the sill plate. (Note: the interior of the garage has not been finished and is open to the studs/sheathing).

My question, what exactly is structural movement at the garage footings and how serious of a problem is this? Is this something that I can fix or do I need a structural contractor. I would rate my carpentry skills as average.

The home inspection report also noted to cracking the concrete slab within the garage. My thought was to fill the cracks and resurface. Thougths?

Thanks
Greg

Old 07-10-08, 03:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I happen to be looking at a similar job at a friend's house. His garage is attached to the house. Is yours?

The footing on the outer wall sunk leaving the wall dangling in the air. It dropped a little but not much. My suggestion was to jack it up, slide 1 or 2 5/4 x 6 pieces of wood betweenr the existing sill and the footer, then cement the sides.

Your inspector didn't give you a complete report if you are asking what exactly does he mean. I would ask him to clarify, the structual movement he saw.

In the meantime, put a level on the header over the garage door and see if it sunk to one side. Did your footings sink at all? In what direction did they move? Are the walls plumb? Is the floor level?

Old 07-11-08, 06:05 AM
G
Hi Pulpo

The garage is a 2 car detached. I do know that the walls are plumb and the floor is level, but is cracked right diagonally across the center for roughly 6 feet (small crack width, less than a 1/16") the center. Based on the inspectors reply, it sounds like the garage has shifted due to freeze/thaw cycles over the years. He is going to fax me a copy of his notes from the job.

Thanks

Old 07-11-08, 05:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Hopefully, his report will tell you exactly in what direction the shifting took place. Did it move to one side? Did it sink like my friend's garage? You need to know that in order to determine your course of action.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: