Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cracked Joist

PA

07-09-08, 12:27 PM   #1  
Cracked Joist

I have a Joist that is pretty cracked , almost through the whole piece but not quite. I had a handyman come out and he said he could not bolt the wood because there is a vent that kind of in the way, and instead suggested that he support it with a pole, which will be cheaper for us he said, though not as pretty It is in a part of the basement that is not finished, so this could be done. Does this sound about right for this?

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

07-09-08, 04:06 PM   #2  
Is he saying that he can't sister a joist to the existing one? That would be the best thing to do. A lolly column is the second choice. Is the ceiling sagging?

PA

07-10-08, 10:00 AM   #3  
No sagging. But we want to work on putting in a hardwood floor on the floor above which is supported by this joist. I had heard sistering would be the best bet as well. The sistering peice would not have to run the whole length of the original joist would it? And does it have to be sandwiched or can you just have a sister board on one side?

Temporarily Suspended

NY

07-10-08, 03:05 PM   #4  
You can have a sister board on one side. It would be better if it ran the entire length of the original (header to header) but not a must.

One way to do it is jack up the floor a little with a floor jack used for cars. Put some 2 x 4s between the jack and the ceiling. Lay the joist flat and flip it up on edge. Screw it to the other joist with 3 inch screws. You'll need a small sledge hammer and a screw gun. I just did one a few weeks ago.

Search this Thread