Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page > Knocking a wall out? Possible or don't touch it???

Knocking a wall out? Possible or don't touch it???

Old 07-20-08, 01:16 PM
Knocking a wall out? Possible or don't touch it???

Hello all. I have a question about a wall that my wife and I wanna knock out. Here is the scenario. We have a kitchen and dinning rm separated by a wall. I am 100% sure that the wall is not weight bearing. So I thought we were in the clear. Then I told my dad what I wanted to do and he said to be carefull b/c our house is a balloon style house. Now when we insulated the walls we noticed that when we did the second floor first that the insulation was falling all the way down to the first floor. This means the studs run from the first floor to the second floor correct?? Now not all of them did this but atleast half did. Also the wall I wanna knock out is an interior wall. There is another wall right above the one on the first floor does this mean anything?? Also if the studs run all the way up can I put up a header??
Now the other thing is when we tear the wall out our chimney runs right up the center of the house and I was thinking about tearing the wall out from around that and putting mountain stone up or red brick?? Is this possible if I have to put up a header beam?? I have a lot of research to do and I wanted to start here. I took a little carpentry program online from penn foster and I loved it so I am going to refer to those books also. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 11:39 AM
This means the studs run from the first floor to the second floor correct??
yes. with balloon framing the wall cavity is not divided by the floor system like modern day framing.

There is another wall right above the one on the first floor does this mean anything??
well since its balloon framed then the 1st floor wall that you want to remove is likely continuous up through the second floor. so make darn skippy that its not load bearing. if it is you can remove some/all of it and replace with a beam. If not, a structural beam wont be necessary.

Old 07-21-08, 04:33 PM
Get an engineer to look at it. Do not take out any wall unless you are 1000% sure it is not supporting a load. The $$ spent up front could save huge problems down the road.

Old 07-21-08, 06:36 PM
Well me and the wifey have been talking it over a lot the past couple days about what project to do w/ the budget we have and what not. I think we are going to hold off on the dining room, even though it kills me to say that. HA HA Since a full tank of oil will be costing us 1000 freaken dollars we are going to replace windows instead. I found out that I can get a window for 120/per window thanks to my uncle's contracting price through a local company!! YIPPY I appreciate the posts and will take everything into consideration!! I was going to drill a hole near the ceiling to check to see if the studs stopped or continued to the 2nd floor!! I know for a fact that its not load bearing in the sense that the joists set on the wall, but in the fact that if the studs run to the second fl. then it is load bearing correct!!!
Thanks Again!!!

Search this Thread