Sturdi Floor

Old 02-27-05, 06:05 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sturdi Floor

What are the pros and cons of plywood vs OSB Sturdi Floor T&G? The OSB is priced a few dollars less than the plywood. Also what is recommended as far as nailing, screwing and glueing? I plan to use 23/32" thickness with joists on 16" centers.

Old 02-28-05, 04:47 AM
Hi Fred and welcome aboard!

My opinion plywood is superior to any osb product, but I've also heard arguments about ply having voids which could create a problem wih kitchen chair legs going thru it. I've never encountered this situation in the real world myself. Alot of new homes are built these days using tig OSB products, generally in the 3/4" thickness, unless you're putting tile (ceramic, porcelin, etc) down, I think the hardi-floor will serve your needs well and save you some cash. However under tile it isn't an acceptable substrate and a good grade of plywood like ACX should be used instead. That's my .02¢ for what it's worth. I'm sure you'll get some other opinions here soon. Good luck and post back if you have further questions.

Old 02-28-05, 08:21 AM
F
Sturdi Floor

Thanks for the comments awsomedell. This floor is for a hall, bedroom, bath and office. Carpet floor covering is planned except for the bath which will be vinyl. I will probably go with the OSB, but the bath raises another question. If I put OSB in the bath I assume I will have to also have an underlayment for the vinyl. If I put plywood in the bath does that eliminate the need for an underlayment?

Do you have any thoughts on nails, screws, glue, etc?

Old 02-28-05, 06:17 PM
C
some people reccomend pressure treated plywood for bathrooms and kitchen floors. the new pressure treating does not contain aresenic so it is more user friendly. i would use plywood in the bathroom to make the upgrade to ceramic tile easy, and it doesnt cost much.

osb is fine for floor sheathing. make sure it is apa rated, i would use 48/24, and remember that the long direction is the strong direction and should span across the joists. always.

Old 07-22-08, 09:59 PM
Sturdi Floor

Yes, sturdifloor is a good subfloor but not real good for an underlayment. You want something like AC or BC grade plywood that is squared edge 4 sides. The walls are in your way trying to install an underlayment that has a T&G treatment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: