Framing and concrete question

Old 08-02-08, 10:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing and concrete question

Hi

I am redoing a detached garage t-11 "I know, stupid but to late"
I have ripped off the old siding repaired roted corners, house wrapped and installed the t-11, primed everything took 10 gallons primer, garage is 17 X 23

I have repaired the front corners, but noticed they are below grade and will no doubt rot again, would pouring a little concrete around the outside to bring up to grade level and cause rain to run off Or will it rot the 2x4 sills and t-11 the concrete would contact? any other ideas if so?

also inside I am splitting it into two rooms, what do most pros
use to hold the 2x4 walls to the concrete floor, I used tap cons for the front sill repairs but found the tap con bit to take forever to reach the proper depth for the screw, cut nails don't seem to have that good holding power I think

I will post some pictures soon

Thanks
Sonny

Old 08-02-08, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
When siding and framing are below grade the first suggestion would be to lower the grade.

As for the Tapcon drill bit, were you using a hammer drill?

Old 08-02-08, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper
When siding and framing are below grade the first suggestion would be to lower the grade.

As for the Tapcon drill bit, were you using a hammer drill?
Of course lowering grade is best

But I would have to remove about 3" of asphalt all over the place which would create a lot more drainage problems else where and I have to much framing in place to remove and raise the garage and no bucks to remove and then rebuild it on block, thats why I asked about concrete causing rot etc it seems the easiest route for now if it will last a reasonable time

Reg drill

Old 08-04-08, 01:17 PM
J
Originally Posted by sonny
Of course lowering grade is best

But I would have to remove about 3" of asphalt all over the place which would create a lot more drainage problems else where and I have to much framing in place to remove and raise the garage and no bucks to remove and then rebuild it on block, thats why I asked about concrete causing rot etc it seems the easiest route for now if it will last a reasonable time

Reg drill
What we do in this situation is put a temporary wall up and cut the bottom of the studs up enough to fit one more course of block plus a pressure treated sill and sill sealer. Once the block is done you lag you sill into the block and toenail your studs into the sill.

Not a very easy project to do but it works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: