Help with framing a door

Old 08-13-08, 07:24 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with framing a door

Hello,

I'm a newbie here, and I just bought a house. I do not have carpentry skills and was wondering if there is a tutorial on framing.

I want to make a frame and put a door in a space which will become a closet. Since the space is a little tight and it is in a finished basement I'm considering either the bi-fold doors or the sliding ones.

Which ones would be easier and less pain or if there is any other types I should consider?

The exact measurements for the opening is 80 inch wide x 74 inch high. It is all sheet-rock walls right now. There used to be a closet door there before but I had it taken out and now my wife wants it to be a closet again! Is it necessary for the stud to be there behind the drywall all around the frame of the door? What if there are no studs behind the wall? Can I just buy some 2x4's and screw them onto the drywall to make a frame?

Where do I start? What material do I need?

Old 08-13-08, 07:38 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Door Opening

First out of the gate, the opening you have is not tall enough for a standard door. Do you have room to make a taller opening? A standard door is 80 inches tall. The framed opening needs to be 82 1/2 inches to allow for a top jamb and floor covering.

Old 08-13-08, 07:59 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. However, like I said it is in the finished basement and there is a beam which makes it 74 inches. So it can't be made over 80 inches. How hard would it be to cut the door to 74?

Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
First out of the gate, the opening you have is not tall enough for a standard door. Do you have room to make a taller opening? A standard door is 80 inches tall. The framed opening needs to be 82 1/2 inches to allow for a top jamb and floor covering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: