Uneven floor joists in a bathroom

Old 08-14-08, 02:20 PM
Uneven floor joists in a bathroom

I ripped out the tile flooring and part of the sub flooring in our bathroom, since the tile was all cracked and part of the sub floor was somewhat rotted. The order of flooring was: 1/2" plywood, 1/2" particle board, then tile. I ripped out all the particle board and tile, plus I cut a rotted 4' x 3' piece of the 1/2" plywood, leaving a 4' X 3' area exposed down to the flooring joist.

I put a straight edge on the exposed joists and saw that they are not even with each other, nor level (they are somewhat close to level and even) . I plan to re-tile the flooring once I have replaced the 4' x 3' plywood section, plus another layer of 1/2" plywood over the entire floor area of the bathroom. I was going to apply Ditra membrane then tile the floor.

My question:

Should I shim the sub floor so it is level and even? Should I just use floor leveler? If you suggest leveler, should I apply it just before the Ditra?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-08, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have a few options:

1. Sister new joists to the old to get a level joist.

2. Shim the joists

3. Leveling compound

I would go with the sistering of the joists if it were mine.

You need however, to have a layer of 5/8" plywood over the joists. 1/2" is way to thin for your only subfloor layer.

I like your idea o using Ditra too.

Old 08-14-08, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the response!

Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I would go with the sistering of the joists if it were mine.
Would I have to use 2" X 10" lumber for sister joists? It is only used to even out the floor a bit. Could I get by with 2 x 6 or even 2 x 4? It is only a 5' x 5' floor surface.

Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
You need however, to have a layer of 5/8" plywood over the joists. 1/2" is way to thin for your only subfloor layer.
I had two layers of sub-floor under the tile (1/2" plywood, then 1/2" particle board). The tile was layed over top of the particle board, believe it or not. I plan to put two layers of 1/2" plywood.

Shims might work, but don't they break down over time?

Last edited by Howitzer; 08-14-08 at 04:38 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 08-14-08, 04:19 PM
Can I put the Ditra right over the floor leveler?

Old 08-16-08, 10:34 AM
As I asked on my last post, can I put the Ditra right over the floor leveler?

Should I worry about floor leveler if the floor is a bit out of level here and there? Could I compensate for this slight unlevelness with more of less thinset when I put the tile down?